Personal injury claims in Douglasville arise when you get hurt due to someone else’s fault. However, you are entitled to recover financial compensation from the party responsible for your damages. You have the best chance of securing a maximum settlement with a lawyer by your side. But engaging a Douglasville personal injury attorney does not come without a cost.
Most accident victims worry about the financial implications of hiring a lawyer. Unfortunately, this has deterred some victims from pursuing justice against the negligent party. Thankfully, most lawyers in Douglasville charge for accidents or injury claims on a contingency fee agreement. This arrangement can be highly beneficial to both you and the lawyer.
It is not uncommon for disagreements over costs between personal injury lawyers and their clients to ensue. Therefore, you save yourself considerable stress by getting a fee arrangement and expenses associated with handling your case during consultation. This article discusses the fees and costs of hiring a lawyer to handle your personal injury case.
Douglasville Personal Injury Attorney Explains Contingency Fee Arrangement
After an injury or accident in Douglasville, hiring a lawyer is the best investment you can make. A lawyer ensures you have all the relevant evidence to prove the at-fault party’s liability. In addition, you maximize your chances of getting the best compensation you deserve.
Accident or injury victims can exercise their rights to financial compensation in three ways, which are:
- By filing a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance company
- Filing a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver
- By filing an uninsured motorist claim on your insurance policy if the at-fault driver does not have insurance.
An accident lawyer knows the best option to exercise your rights for the required outcome. Thankfully, most personal injury lawyers charge a contingency fee when pursuing a claim through the above options.
A contingency fee agreement governs the relationship between a personal injury lawyer and their client. Under this arrangement, your lawyer receives an agreed percentage of your final settlement or court verdict. Their fee is contingent on whether or not they win your case.
You are not required to pay an hourly or upfront fee. This relieves you of financial stress and makes it affordable to get legal help. In addition, a personal injury lawyer takes a risk with your case without you paying upfront. Hence, if you don’t win, they don’t get any fees.
What Is the Percentage of a Contingency Fee Agreement?
The percentage of contingency fees charged by personal injury lawyers varies on the lawyer’s guidelines and the services rendered.
Generally, a contingency fee is charged at one-third percentage of either:
- A percentage of the settlement they win through a personal injury claim, or
- A percentage of what is awarded by the judge or jury in court.
The standard contingency fee falls between 33% to 40% or more of the amount they win for you. Again, it is best to agree upon the percentage before you begin working together. There are factors to be considered in determining the exact contingency fee percentage to be charged. This include:
- The complexity and difficulty of your case
- The estimated amount of time to be spent on your case
- The size of the law firm
- The geographic location of the lawyer
- Years of experience and reputation
- The specific circumstance of your case
- The estimated compensation to be recovered, etc.
What Are the Advantages of a Contingency Fee Agreement in Douglasville?
The contingency fee arrangement is beneficial to you and the Douglasville personal injury attorney. The benefits include:
- It allows injured victims who could not ordinarily afford a lawyer to seek counsel
- No upfront fee is required
- You do not have to pay any out-of-pocket fees
- The lawyer can start working on your case immediately
- It aligns your lawyer’s interest with yours since they only get paid if you win
- The lawyer’s fees will be an agreed percentage of the compensation recovered through settlement or judgment
- This fee structure provides a win-win situation for everyone
- It is lucrative for lawyers who can stomach the risk
- If the lawyer fails, you are not obligated to pay the legal cost.
Are There Other Associated Costs to Be Paid?
A contingency fee is the main cost charged for handling your injury claim. However, there are other unavoidable associated costs incurred while building your case. These costs are different from your attorney’s fees. Depending on your agreement with your lawyer, you will have to repay them for these costs.
Attorneys differ on how they charge clients for these expenses. Most lawyers absorb these potential costs as they come. They deduct them from your final settlement before taking out their legal fees. Therefore, it is essential to discuss these expenses at your initial meeting.
Every case is different, and the expense budget varies widely. Typical expenses can include the following:
- Court filing fees
- Costs of hiring investigators
- Cost of consulting experts
- Expert witness fees
- Photocopying fees
- Postage fees
- Costs of obtaining police reports or medical records
- The expenses of recording depositions, transcripts, and trial exhibits
- Service and subpoena fees, etc.
Is It Worth It to Hire a Douglasville Personal Injury Attorney?
Trying to handle your injury claim can be stressful, especially if you are still recovering from your wounds. A personal injury lawyer can advocate for your best interest while you focus on rebuilding your life.
It is worthwhile to hire a lawyer as there are many benefits attached. A seasoned personal injury lawyer can help you in the following ways:
- Review your case and determine the best options available to you
- Conduct a thorough investigation into the injury or accident
- Assemble and preserve all relevant evidence to build a solid case
- Determine the liability of the party responsible for your wounds and losses
- Negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company
- Determine the full scope of your damages suffered due to the accident
- Take your case to trial, if necessary.
Reach Out to Douglasville Personal Injury Attorney Today!
If you are hurt by the negligent actions of another, you should protect your legal rights. However, you may want to know how much a lawyer costs. Fortunately, you can hire a lawyer even if you don’t have money. Hiring an attorney will have a significant impact on your injury claim.
At Hartley, Rowe & Fowler, we have extensive experience handling personal injury cases. We will use our experience and expertise to win you maximum compensation. In addition, we serve our clients on a contingency fee arrangement. Therefore, we will only charge you after winning a settlement or court verdict on your behalf. Reach out to our personal injury attorneys in Douglasville, GA, for help today.